Monday, June 18, 2012

.75 of a mile, New Running Shoes and Chia Seeds

Yesterday, my son and I got to talking about running.

2 years ago, I was walking/running 100 miles per week on average. I would do 5 miles in the morning and anywhere from another 3-5 miles in the afternoon. Every day, I would write this down on the calendar as to how far I had gone and how long it took.

Then I broke my tailbone.

We are running in a 5-mile race on the 14th of July. I HAVE to start running again, or I will be walking the whole stupid thing. I don't want to just walk - I want to run.

My walking buddy I walk with - there is no way in Hades she will/can/wants to run. I'm not going to bale on her just because of that.

So, my only other option is to start getting up in the morning before work and run.

This morning, I got up at 5:20, threw on my clothes, and hit the door. I managed to run 3/10ths of a mile, walked 1/10th, ran 3/10ths more, and then ran enough to equal .75 of a mile, walked the rest for a total of 1.5 miles. In 23 minutes. Not too bad, but not great either. It'll come back, I am sure. I will be able to run at least 3 miles of the 5-miler.

It'll just take time.

I'm doing the Outer Banks 1/2 Marathon in November and want to be able to run at least half of that, which would be 6.5 miles. I think I can build up to that by then. I just have to do it.

I LOVE my new Adidas Clima Cool Ride running shoes!! I got them and a pair of Saucony Grid Fiyas. While I am usually partial to Saucony, the Adidas are the bomb!!



I always keep 2 pair of shoes at a time - I like to alternate them and I always have 1 pair that is better for wearing in classes than the other. The Saucony will do better in the classes that I take at the gym.

In other news - I have started adding Chia seeds to my morning oatmeal....these little suckers have a good amount of protein in them and they also keep me fuller for a looooong time. I ate my oatmeal at 8am.....I usually eat lunch at 11am and I am just now starting to feel hungry and it's almost noon. They also have a good amount of fiber in them, which I needed some extra.

So, that's that for today.....Zumba and my walk with Jody tonight! And, possibly, tennis for 30 mins with the boy...we'll see how we feel by 8pm, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment