Thursday, January 10, 2013

Thinking good thoughts for one of our dogs :( ..and a plug for a few rescues

We have boxers.

We LOVE boxers.

We have had chows, standard poodles and German shepards......Boxers top them all.

The only problem with boxers is that they are VERY prone to cancer.

We lost Dallas in 2003 to a brain tumor.

We lost Sampson in 2009 to lung cancer.

Georgianna, our 13-year-old that we got from a rescue in Alabama - we know that she has mamary tumors, but with her age, they said to leave them alone, that as long as they don't grow, they are fine.

A few days ago, she started vomiting and had diarreah.  Yay.  Awesome to go home after work and see your husband running out of the house with a trash can, trying not to yack everywhere because you walked in to dog poo in the house because the poor girl couldn't hold it.

Megan is taking her to the dr today, because even though the vomitting is gone, she has this hack.  I am thinking that she has the beginning of congestive heart failure.  If I'm right, it's totally treatable.  We just have to make sure to get her on the right meds.  I love our vet, too.  They are verry supportive and, unlike some vets out there, they try to make things very affordable, too.

The rescue we got George from is Rockin P Rescue.  Sam, we had him from a puppy.  Dallas was a rescue from the Carolina Boxer Rescue.  He was a dog that was rescued after Hurricane Floyed and no one claimed him.  He was the BEST dog that  I have ever owned, and definitely my boy.

The blurb on the Rockin P site after I adopted George, at a bout 5 months old:

And here she is 13 years later :)  This was on Christmas day.

Libby, we got her from a breeder that I have known for over 6 years.  She only breeds her females twice, then has them spayed.  They then go to adoptive homes where they can live out their lives :).  Libby is a European boxer.  She has a more laid back temperament and a shorter snout than an American bred boxer.

If you are interested in finding out more about where I got Libby, you can go here: Winn Creek Boxers.  I will say this - you are paying for QUALITY if you go to Kim or anyone that she recommends.  These are not puppy mill dogs, nor are these breeders doing this for money.  The good ones that do all required testing and everything actually LOSE money when they have litters.

I do HIGHLY recommend Kim, and I also HIGHLY recommend both the rescues mentioned above.  There is NOTHING WRONG with getting an older dog.  Dallas was at least 5 when we got him.  He fit right in.  You don't HAVE to get a puppy every single time you get a dog.

Anyhow, while I patiently wait for my daughter to call to tell me what the vet said, I had better do something productive here at work.

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment