Friday, May 4, 2012

Falafe................wha?

Anyone that REALLY knows me knows I LOVE Greek/Middle-Eastern food. 

My husband's boss is from Israel.  He taught me how to make SOOOOOO many tasty things - though I really wish they weren't so high in fat :(. 

One of my absolute favorites is Falafel.  Falafel is fried chickpeas or fava beans...or sometimes both.  Favas have a richer, less snappy flavor than chickpeas, so would be better for someone who likes a milder taste.  I love them both.  You take them, mash them up, form them into patties, and fry them in olive oil-y goodness - serve them on a pita with tzatziki sauce or in a salad with some tahini (sesame paste) and - absolute bliss.

So, when I went to The Fresh Market yesterday and saw these......


OMG, I could have died.  I think I walked by them like 5 times before I put them in the cart.  Then, I found the baba ghannouj (pronounced baa baa ganoosh) and I was really hooked.    Baba ghannouj is roast eggplant, but this is made kinda like hummus.  I  love hummus (another thing that Othman has taught me how to make on my own) but sometimes I get lazy and buy the store-bought stuff.  Especially when my stomach is eating itself because I skipped my 4pm snack because I decided to skip the gym and go to the Fresh Market to get sushi.

So, while I was driving back to work to drop off Tammy's dinner for her, I ate 10 chips and about 1/8c of the baba ghannouj, lol.  10 chips are not like potato chips...these are big rounds.  Not bad WW points wise at all.  And dinner was tuna and salmon ngiri, california roll and potstickers.

A few other things I got at Fresh Market was spinach artichoke dip, a container of veggie antipasta, crispy bread rounds, a panini that Michael had for dinner, veggie chips, fruit chips, strawberries, corn tortillas, and I think that was it.  I always spend a crap ton in there, which is why I only go about 1x a month, but it's always worth it.  It wasn't as busy as it typically is...I wonder if the addition of Whole Foods to Greensboro has anything to do with it?  I haven't been to Whole Foods yet, basically because I hear they are REALLY expensive. 

I AM going to the gym tonight.  I am doing intervals on the treadmill and weights again.  Then, I am meeting Jody to walk.  I'm going to focus on just getting through the intervals, rather than speed....I think I'll try that, because I want to start going for distance, rather than speed.....does that make sense at all?  My first 5K is in July (bad, bad time to start, I know), and I want to RUN it..the whole thing.  Even if it's at 4.5mph, I want to run it.

Tomorrow I have the Zumbathon, then Michael and I are going to start tackling staining the fence.  I think I just had a flashback to The Karate Kid......**Daniel-san, Paint the Fence......uuuuuup.....doooooown.......uuuuuuupppp......doooooooown**


No comments:

Post a Comment