Monday, June 4, 2012

Fantabulous Weekend .. and a reflection on my Daddy

The weather was perfect this weekend!

I worked on Saturday (boo..hiss!!!), but still went and played tennis with the boy.

Now, I have to remind myself, I HAVE to eat at least an hour before working out.  Period.  If I don't I just feel weak and nauseous.  We were only able to play for about an hour....and that was with me taking one break to lay on the ground.  My serves were stupid, as were my volleys. 

So, Sunday, I went on my normal 3 mile walk with Jody, then went home and cooked the hubby birthday breakfast and then  we went and played tennis....for almost 2 hours !!  Mikey's goal was to make it to an hour and a half.  We have been playing for an hour each time we played now, and he wanted to build it up.  I could tell the last 20 minutes he was really tired.  Now, keep in mind, this is my college senior.  He weighs 196 - but doesn't look it - he's tall and muscular.  But, he's out of shape.  His stamina sucks.  We are going next weekend to get him some new running shoes so we can start training for 5k's. 

Breakfast - 2oz country ham (yes, sodium out the wazoo, I know!!), 1/2c grits w/ sugar free polaner, 1 egg + 2 whites.  The hubby and kids had toast and no grits.


June 3rd is always a happy and sad day for me.

It's my hubby's birthday.

And....it was also my dad's birthday.

Weird, I know, marrying someone who has the same birthday as my dad.  But he's the love of my life.  I couldn't live without him.  He's a great father, a fantastic cheerleader and he takes care of us.  Our 22nd wedding anniversary is in December.

My love on the ferry to Ocracoke Island :



Us at the top of the Hatteras Lighthouse







My dad would have been 64 yesterday.

He passed in 2008.  I miss him every day.  I never got to say good-bye.  The last time I got to talk to him was in August of 2008.  He passed on December 9th of that year....the day before my wedding anniversary. 

Part of the reason that I started this journey is that I don't want to end up like him.  He had multiple health issues.  He had diabetes.  He had congestive heart failure.  He had to have a defibrulator installed.  He had lung cancer at one point, 5 years AFTER he stopped smoking.  The last time I saw him in 2007, he looked like a 90 year old man.

What killed him?

A staph infection that settled in his difibrulator.

I love my daddy.

But I don't want to be him.

Even though I look like him.  Even though I'm built like him, and, unfortunately, so is my daughter, I don't want to be him.

I want to be better - an make him proud to call me his daugther in heaven :) 

I need to get some pictures from the photo frame digital thing my mom sent me for Christmas after dad passed and share them here.  I was definitley Daddy's Girl.

Have a great Monday all :)

Zumba tonight! Then possibly tennis with the boy, and walk with my bestie.



No comments:

Post a Comment